Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Central Tensions





Hi Class!
I have been reading Mr. Geranis' class reading blog and following one of their conversations about central tensions. In class we have talked a bit about that, especially when we were developing our own characters and plots for our fiction stories in writing.
Have you ever thought about what types of tensions there can be? Here are 4 types that we may come across in our reading:

Character versus character
: This is a conflict between two characters ( or more). In The Liberation of Gabriel King, Gabe has a conflict with Duke Evans throughout the book. Duke will not stop bullying Gabe, and Gabe does not know what to do about it. Frita has a conflict with Mr. Evans. Mr. Evans is rude and calls her names because of her skin color.

Character versus self : This is when a character is struggling with him or her self. It could have to do with fears, or needs and wants. In LOGK, Gabe struggles with his huge list of fears. He tries to dominate his fears and constantly worries about being a coward.

Character versus society: This is when a character does not fit in, and is struggling with a group of people and norms. For example, in LOGK, Frita and Gabe are friends, and this causes conflict for them as much of the society ( in this case, the town) does not believe that they should be friends. Terrence is struggling with society and the unfair behavior and treatment that occurs from one group of people to another.

Character versus nature: I can not think of an example from LOGK, but this is a tension in which the main character has conflict with nature. This is most often found in survival and adventure stories. Hatchet by Gary Paulson is a classic example of a boy struggling to survive, alone in wilderness. (This is a great book if you have not read it!!)

Sometimes you may only find one or two of these types of tensions in books, at other times you may come across more. If you want to read more on central tensions, you can go to "Bloggin with your Noggin".

So, my questions to you are the following:

Do you prefer any of these types of tensions?

What types do you most often find in the books you have been reading?

What type or types do you have in your current book? ( give an example or explain the tension from your story)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

(1) I prefer the Character vs. character because it leaves on a cliff hanger every time because there always in a big fight you always want to find out if they will get physical and something bad will happen to the person that is also like the character vs. nature to because something bad could happen any time.

(2) I have found character vs. character in most of my stories and character vs. self because in my books they always seem to be going to new schools in one them they went to a new school and they were in 7 grade and there were to people trying to be mean to her and trying to get her to smoke with them, and when she said things about herself everyone laughed at her.

(3) My book there is no tension because she loves everything and she has no problems and Mrs.S does there have to be a tension in every book?

your people from air force 11,
Allie

Anonymous said...

I like all of the kinds of books listed below.I mostly like the character versus.While I'm reading a book about world war2 so it has all kinds of the versus.

WILL.DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Anonymous said...

This topic fits perfectly into my book. In the Bartimaeus Trilogy 1 there are two characters Nathaniel and Bartimaeus. Nathaniel is an 11 year old boy who has many central tensions. He is a magician in training. His main conflict is character vs character. It is a man named Lovelace and his apprentice makes Nathanel embarrassed in front of some powerful magicians. Then he starts planning his revenge. He goes through much mental distress when his art teacher [The only one of his teachers he likes to see every day] gets fired for trying to help him when the dinjy grabbed him, made him cry and embarrassed him.[dinjy=demon]. On top on of that he can't do demon summonings which is a magician's greatest tool.

I don't really prefer any types of tensions, I just like a good storyline.


FROM YOUR NOT GOOD SERVANT ALEX:^

Anonymous said...

I would prefer life versus nature tension.I read a book called shazam,and it showed character versus character.It was because two people were battling each other.In another book called marvel adventures spiderman hulk and ironman.And it is when They battle together to fight super villians and go on adventures.This is also called character versus character.

by Andrew Leduc

★Anna★ said...

I do not prefer any specific tension. In the book I'm reading now I am only on about the 10th page but one of the girls, Bree, I think has a little bit of Character versus society because she thinks she was switched at birth because she looks nothing like her family members and she is NOTHING like them!!! I think I mostly read character versus character because in the last book I read these two people, Leo and Amanda, are having a fight and they never talk to each other.

:.~Anna thee Banana~:.

Anonymous said...

#1. I don't prefer any of the types because I've read really good books from all the tensions . But if I had to chose one it would probably be character v.s. character.


#2. The ones I probably read the most are character v.s. character (and/or) character v.s. nature.


#3. The book I'm reading (or was reading) is called The Underneath. It has two types of tensions character v.s. character like when the hound named Ranger bites this really mean called Gar Face who had abused him then the man hits Ranger on the head with a board. :( It also had character v.s. nature like when Puck (the kitten) gets thrown into a river by Gar Face then he has to survive in the woods until he could find his way home.







~~~~***Emma***~~~~***Emma***~~~~

Anonymous said...

I don't really prefer a specific tension. If I had to choose, my choice would probably Character VS Character. I'm not sure why, but those books just seem more interesting to me.

HERB

Margot said...

Will,
I am a bit confused with your post. You said you mostly like character versus......but you did not finish your sentence. DO you prefer character versus character, character versus society, character versus self or character versus nature? Also, can you explain how your wrold war 2 book has different examples? I am very curious!
Mrs. Simonds

Margot said...

Dear Alex,
I know what you mean about just liking a good storyline. I do tend to enjoy reading stories about character versus self. I like to see how a character can wrestling with themselves and end up with some kind of solution. Often times the solution is looking at the problem in a different way.
One book I really liked was "Tangerine". The main character struggles with where he is living and an incident that happened to him when he was younger. The conflict is resolved by the boy realizing something about himself.
Can you think of any books that you have read that are character versus self?
Happy Reading,
Mrs. Simonds

Anonymous said...

#1.I think that i im likeing my book so far and i really like the characters in my book they are really funny and i also like the wirter of my book i will tell you his name just in cause someone else wanted to read it his name is Roald Dahl but that is all i can tell you for now i got to go bye. xocandy