Monday, October 22, 2012

Maniac Goes Home

Well, we finished! I can't wait to hear more about what you think! I so loved reading this book with you and hearing and reading your thoughts.  You are developing into great readers and great communicators about reading.  Today's post has quite a few discussion points.  Pick at least two to discuss in your post.

  • How would you describe the relationship between Maniac and Mars Bar?  How does it change from when they first encounter each other until the end?  Why do you think this change occurs?
     
  • Why do you think Amanda is able to get Maniac to come home?  Why does he leave and why doesn’t he want to come back?
  • Why do you think that Maniac stays with the McNabs for as long as he does?
  • What families does Maniac encounter during this story?  Which ones did you like best? (Maniac’s Aunt and Uncle, the Pickwells, the Beales, Grayson, the McNabs).  How are some of them different?  How are they the same?  How does Maniac fit in?
  • How would you describe the style of this book?  How is it different than other books that you have read?  Did this make the book easier to read? Harder? Or didn’t it affect your ability to get into the story?
  • 19 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    dear mrs.simonds,
    i think the relationship got much better within the story. at first they hated each other but now they are friends. i think amanda got maniac home by convincing him but not convinceing him. i thik he stayed atn the mcnabs that long because he didnt think thatmcnab is so tuff. maniac met the beals, the pickwells, and he meets the mcnabs.i liked the beals best. they all have different tasts. some are the same because some are more inviteing like the beals and the pickwells.maniac fits in well.i think the book style of the book is adventure and realistic fiction. i usualy read mystery so it is very different but i like it.i usualy jump into a book pretty fast no matter what it is.
    from josh

    Anonymous said...

    Maniac and Marbars relationship has changed when Maniac found his little bros that always run away. Marbars has also picked up a little sympathy for Maniac, when he figured out about how his parents died.

    Amanda is able to convince Maniac that he can come. The bullying with Mars has stopped, so the Beels won't have problems with that. Maniac isn't so sure about that though, so he doesn't want to come (and doesn't want her encyclopedia B torn a part).

    Anonymous said...

    dear mrs simonds
    maniake leaves because he wants to protect the beals.the family i liked the most was the beals because they were really nice to maniake and there differnt because some of them were bullys and som were not.~matt

    Anonymous said...

    Dear Mrs. Simonds,
    1.I think that Maniac stays with the McNabs because it is better than living outside and because now that he lived with them the younger kids were going to school.
    2.I would describe the style of this book as adventureous and VERY interesting. It is different than other books I have read because I usually am not that interested in books that I picked. It made the book a little easier to read.


    From, Biz :):):):):):):)

    Anonymous said...

    Dear Mrs.Simonds,

    In the beginning, Mars Bar bullied Maniac and they were not friends. When we were getting close to the end of the book Maniac and Mars Bar became friends. When Maniac wins against Mars Bar running backward in the race, Mars Bar probably thinks that Maniac is better than him. Amanda explains to Maniac that he can sleep in her room on the floor and she didn't really care what Maniac does. So that is when Maniac decides to go with Amanda to go to her house. I think the reason Maniac left is because he wanted to be with the Beals again and have an address again. I think he doesn't want to go back because Mars Bar said that he stunk and Maniac probably didn't want to be going to live with the animals again. I think he stays at the Mcnabs that long so he can have an address. I also think that he really loves playing with the 2 youngest Mcnabs. Maniac encounters a lot of Families in the story like the Beales, Aunt and Uncle, the Mcnabs and the rest. My favorite family are the Beales because I love the little kids drawing on the walls. The Beales are not like any other family. The Mcnabs and the Aunt and Uncle are similar because they are both crazy people. Maniac fits into the Beale family because Maniac and the Beales are nice. Maniac also fits into the Mcnab family because Maniac and the Mcnabs are white. The style of this book is very creative because the author did a very nice job of describing the story. The whole time I had a picture in my head. I loved this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    From Mara!

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Mrs. Simonds,
    I think the relationship between Mars Bar/Snickers and Maniac is really rather ocward. In the beginning they really are not nice to one another, and towards the end they really change their fellings toward one another. When they first meet eachother, Mars Bar/Snickers teases Maniac about being a white in a black town, in the end Maniac and Snickers put their differentces aside and they become friends. I think the changes because Snickers reliezes that Maniac really needs some love.
    Amanda is able to get Maniac to come with her because Maniac knows deep down in his heart that he belongs in the Beal household. I think that Maniac stays at the McNabs for so long because he needs a place to stay and he needs to have a place to sleep at night. Also as long as Maniac stays at the McNab's the longer the twins will stay in school. Maniac stay with His Aunt and Uncle, the Beals, Greyson, the McNabs, and he sort of tsays with the Pickwells, At of all of them, I personally like the Beals and Greyson best, and I also think that Maniac has the strongest relationship with the two.
    The familys that Maniac stay in are different because some of them are black familys and some of them are white familys. They are the same because in each one of them Maniac helps that family and in whatever way he does they always are thankful (sort of) that he did that. Maniac always fits into each one by kind of staying out of trouble and really not causing any harm. The style of this book is a Realistic Fiction book, but some parts are sad though, like when Greyson dies, and when he has to leave each family.
    This book is different from the other books I have read becaues it is really a continues story about this one kid, Maniac, who travels all over this one town that has segragation and stay with a whole buch of families that are all very different. That really didn't effect my my ability to get into this story!!!
    -BRIANNA BAKER

    Anonymous said...

    Aloha Mrs. Simonds,
    I think that Maniac and Mars Bar is not very strong and they are rude to each other but they are a little nice. Maniac never really bothers Mars Bar but Mars Bar bothers him.

    I think that Amanda wants Maniac to go back and stay at her house so she dose not have to take baths with her siblings and she felt bad that Maniac stayed with animals.

    I think that Maniac leaves because he felt bad that Amanda's mother had to scrape of the brick Fish Belly that Mars Bar wrote. He did not want to go back because Mars Bar will know that he lives there and might write more things on the brick. I also think that Amanda likes Maniac.

    From,
    Emma

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Mrs.Simonds,
    I think it was a love hate relationship between Mars Bar and Maniac. I think this because, they were like best friends, but they were competitive with each other. I think they were competitive with each other because, in the book it said they ran against each other every morning. I also think that it was a love hate relationship with them because, when Maniac brought Mars Bar, to Russell and Pipers birthday party,I thought maybe Mars Bar was glad he took him because that showed him that maybe Maniac just wanted to help and Mars Bar should be nicer to Maniac. I think it changes because in the very beginning ,when Maniac lived in the Beals house,Mars Bar was really mean, he even called him fish belly! I think that their relationship changed during the race. How i think it changed is they started seeing each other when they went for runs in the morning.~sophia

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Mrs.Simonds,
    Sorry, I ran out of space on the last one.
    I would describe this book as Realistic Fiction.
    I think this because,a kids parents could die. They could run away. A kid could be homeless and be brave.They could also be crazy good at sports.
    This book was also really good!:)
    **********
    ~sophia
    **********

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Mrs.S
    1. I think that Maniac and Mars Bars relationship changes because Mars Bars figures out that he really can't beat Maniac.
    2. I think that Amanda is able to convince maniac to come back to her house because it's the only place he really felt at home.
    3. He leaves because he is white in the black end of town and that is causing the beales lots of trouble, and people are getting very mad and practically gets bullied.i don't think he goes home because he doesn't want that to happen to the Beales again.
    4. I think he stays with the McNabs for such a long time so he can figure out what the white people think about the blacks.
    5. The families that maniac encounters during the story are his aunt and uncle, the Beales, the mcnabs, the pickwells, and Grayson.
    6. My personal favorite family is probably the Beals because there were the most funny stories about.
    7. The McNabs, and Maniac aunt and uncle have something in common, they both fight a lot. I also think the beales and the pickwells have something in common Maniac talks about there cooking and how it's so good.
    8. Maniac fits in because he is kind of like a peace maker beetween the blacks and the whites.
    9. This book is kind of like a mystery the way that we ready it always end at the juiciest chapter but it is also a book that says hey you may look different than I do on the outside but we are the same on the inside.
    10. This book is different than most other books because one minute you could be in the eastend and and the next minute your in the west end so it's kind of like you have to switch your brain.
    11. I think it makes it a little harder because you have to listen closer so you don't get all confused with east and west.

    From: Riley

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Mrs Simonds,
    1.I think that Amanda was able to get Mainiac back home because he thought about Hester, Lester and of course Amanda, and when they had those good old days, like taking a tub with Hester and Lester and reading books like Amanda. He goes there because she somehow forced him into coming home. He doesn't want to go because he sort of liked living on the streets.
    5. I think the style of this book is sad, happy and exciting because there s some death and it gets exciting when Mainiac finds a new home. this book is different to read because it is a mix of characters with different personalities. i found it easy to read except for the bullying and death.

    From,
    Wil!!

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Mrs.S
    When Maniac and Mars Bar first met they both pretty much hated each other. For example, Mars Bar ripped a page out of Amanda's book and blamed it on Maniac. But in the end Mars Bar are friends they became friends when every morning they would met each other and run until the was up. I think this change occurs, because they find out that they are very much alike, they both like to run, they are both nice (even though Mars Bar doesn't like to show it.)
    I think Maniac stayed at the McNabs so long because he knew that Russle and Pieper needed help. During the story Maniac encountered many families and one person. My favorite family was the McNabs. I liked them, because they were the farthest thing from perfect and they were the most fun to listen to and they were funny too. The only thing I would change about the McNabs is the way they treated the people from the east end because I liked the Beales and Mars Bar.
    This book is now on my favorite list, on a scale from 1-10 this book is 10!
    ~Sydney

    Anonymous said...

    Dear Mrs. Simonds,
    I think Maniac and Mars bar are not friends and make fun of each other, but throughout the story they become good friends. I think Maniac left because he did not want to hurt the Beals. It was hard for him to go home because he didn't want to hurt anyone more. I think he came back because he knew Amanda didn't want Maniac to live in the buffalo pen, but with her. I thought that this was a great book because it was a different story, about Maniac's life.

    Anonymous said...

    Hi mrs Simonds,
    1. I think when Maniac and Marsbar first met they did not like each other. Then Marsbar kept on bullying Maniac so much. Finally at the end of the book Maniac and Marsbar started to become friends.I think Maniac and Marsbar realationship got better.

    2.Amanda got Maniac to live at her house by, convincing Maniac by saying Maniac could sleep on Amanda's floor.I think he left the Beals becausetheir house was so dirty and falling apart.


    3.I think Maniac stayed with the Beals for a long time because their family loved them and so did the kids, the kids liked him so much that they took baths together.


    4. I think that Maniac liked staying with Gryson the most because on Thanksgiving Maniac said it was the best Thanksgiving he had ever had. He also proudly painted the number 101 on his apartment door. I would have liked to stay with the McNabs because there was kids in the family that you could play with, and there was a mom and a dad.


    5. I thought this book was realistic fiction because all the things that happened in that book, could of happen to you. I thought this book was bad when we started reading it, but it got a lot better.




    From,
    Will MacDonald

    Anonymous said...

    Dear Mrs.Simonds,

    I would like to comment on Brianna's blog entry. I noticed that Brianna wrote a very long blog. I also noticed that she answered every question. I noticed at the end of her entry, that she said what she thought about her affect with the story. I love how she really explained her answer that is probably why her wonderful entry is so long! I personally LOVE IT when people write long blog entries. It shows that they really cared about their entry and they took a lot of time to to it. Brianna also talks who Maniac had stayed with. Brianna also did paragraphs to separate her writing.

    P.S I LOVE WRITING COMMENTS TO OTHER PEOPLE!

    **********M@R@**********

    Anonymous said...

    Brianna~
    I totally agree with you!!! I agree with you because I think that the relationship between Maniac and Marsbars/Snickers is really awkward to!
    I also agree with you about how the people he stays with are different because some of them are black and some of them are white.
    I think you did a nice job!!!!

    From, Biz:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    Anonymous said...

    hi Mrs.Simonds,
    I personaley think Mcnabs because, he gets to see all baceball games, and gets a huge family Thanksgiving.(most people in my family dont go to our Thanksgiving party).
    Maniac, and Mars Bars are enimes in the begining. Mars Bars was bullieing him from the start. Now, there good friends.Mars Bars even invited Maniac to his house!!

    see you tomorrow, Grace Beecher.!

    Anonymous said...

    To Mrs. Simonds
    I think that in the beginning of the book, Mars Bar bullied Maniac and they were not friends. When we were getting close to the end of the book Maniac and Mars Bar became friends. After Mars Bar gets to know Maniac he feels bad for him and treats him better.
    Amanda is able to get Maniac to come with her because Maniac knows he needs a real family and a real home and the Beals mother and father love him enough that the treat him as their own child. I think that Maniac stays at the McNabs for so long because he needs a place to stay and he needs to have a place to sleep at night. Also as long as Maniac stays at the McNab's the longer the twins will stay in school and out of trouble. Maniac stay with His Aunt and Uncle, the Beals, Greyson, the McNabs, and he sort of tsays with the Pickwells, I like the Beals and Greyson best, and I also think that Maniac has the strongest friendship with the two. The familys that Maniac stay in are different one of the ways is one family is white and one is black. Another reason is the McNabs are more violent and don't treat each-other fairly I mean they want to shoot the blacks and think that they will attack. For the Beals they invite Maniac to stay and live with them and Maniac has a different skin color. They are the same because in each one of them Maniac helps that family and in whatever way he does he makes a difference. The style of this book is a Realistic Fiction book and that is my favorite genre. It didn't really affect my ability to get into the book.

    ~CASSIE REINERTSON

    Anonymous said...

    Dear Josh,
    I agree that Maniac thought Mcnab wasn't so tough. Maniac isn't scared of big old Finsterwall, so why would he be scared of Mcnab?


    Do you think Maniac liked that the Beels had different tastes? Like you said,Maniac fit in well and sort of liked the Beels how they are.


    Paul