Friday, January 8, 2010

Birches by Robert Frost





We have ended our term two poetry unit today, and I am blown away with your responses to the two poems you had to choose from. I loved reading about your feelings to the poem you choose, what you liked, why you liked it, what you noticed the author did in his or her writing, and questions and wonderings that occurred from reading the poem.
Robert Frost is one of my favorite poets. He lived in New Hampshire in the early 1900's. He lived on a 30 acre farm, and this is where most of his writing took place and his ideas came from. He knew he wanted to be a poet, and he gave himself 20 years to accomplish this task.
Below is one of his poems that I would like to share with you. Please let me know what you think, what you notice, what you wonder about after having read it........
Birches
When I see birches bend to left and right
Across the lines of straighter darker trees,
I like to think some boy's been swinging them.
But swinging doesn't bend them down to stay.
Ice-storms do that. Often you must have seen them
Loaded with ice a sunny winter morning
After a rain. They click upon themselves
As the breeze rises, and turn many-colored
As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.
Soon the sun's warmth makes them shed crystal shells
Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust--
Such heaps of broken glass to sweep away
You'd think the inner dome of heaven had fallen.
They are dragged to the withered bracken by the load,
And they seem not to break; though once they are bowed
So low for long, they never right themselves:
You may see their trunks arching in the woods
Years afterwards, trailing their leaves on the ground
Like girls on hands and knees that throw their hair
Before them over their heads to dry in the sun.
But I was going to say when Truth broke in
With all her matter-of-fact about the ice-storm
(Now am I free to be poetical?)
I should prefer to have some boy bend them
As he went out and in to fetch the cows--
Some boy too far from town to learn baseball,
Whose only play was what he found himself,
Summer or winter, and could play alone.
One by one he subdued his father's trees
By riding them down over and over again
Until he took the stiffness out of them,
And not one but hung limp, not one was left
For him to conquer. He learned all there was
To learn about not launching out too soon
And so not carrying the tree away
Clear to the ground. He always kept his poise
To the top branches, climbing carefully
With the same pains you use to fill a cup
Up to the brim, and even above the brim.
Then he flung outward, feet first, with a swish,
Kicking his way down through the air to the ground.
So was I once myself a swinger of birches.
And so I dream of going back to be.
It's when I'm weary of considerations,
And life is too much like a pathless wood
Where your face burns and tickles with the cobwebs
Broken across it, and one eye is weeping
From a twig's having lashed across it open.
I'd like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over.
May no fate willfully misunderstand me
And half grant what I wish and snatch me away
Not to return. Earth's the right place for love:
I don't know where it's likely to go better.
I'd like to go by climbing a birch tree,
And climb black branches up a snow-white trunk
Toward heaven, till the tree could bear no more,
But dipped its top and set me down again.
That would be good both going and coming back.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

-Robert Frost

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Robert Frost used some good sensorylanguage,although
it was a little hard to understand some of his words. I'll now blast off in 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2.......BOOM!!!
from(now dead)cheeseball

Anonymous said...

I liked the second part better. I like it better because I understod it beter than the first part. Also I can picture it better than the first part. I like how he made the poem about something he sees every day because you never really the real beauty of something until someone describes it. I wonder how
he chose the topic of Birches. I also wonder how long it took him to write that poem. It is a very long poem and we write short poems compared to his poem. If we take a while to write our poems it must take him forever to write his poems.

-jules is cools-

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mrs.Simonds for saying that about our poetry assesment!I was wondering what is the next unit we are doing in writting?I love writting it is one of my favorite subjects!!!I also love poetry!I wish we could get to do more poetry I think its really FUN!!!!!

Haybie!!!:)

Anonymous said...

This is a very cool poem because it is something I experinsed that moment myself and It.I don't even know If we are so post to Blog so later.
W!ll
Will d

#1HENRY said...

I wonder why he wrote a poem about birch trees. I think he thought they were like slaves, "But swinging doesn't bend them down to stay." The trees are doing stuff they are not meant to do. It is also like a love poem, him and his trees. Notice #2 the trees are like veterans "And they seem not to break; though once they are bowed," they have experienced things over and over again. Think #2 the trees are like rulers, everyone needs them.-hendelberry/hendelson//hernie

★Anna★ said...

I really liked that poem!! It was interesting and I wanted to keep reading because it seemed like if you did not read the end it would not wrap up the whole poem. Robert Frost sounds like a good poet, and it is cool that he lived so close to York. You can really tell that that poem come's from his farm.

~Anna Thee Banana~

Anonymous said...

I noticed that Robert Frost didn't just write down what he was seeing he was writing down what he wanted to see.In his poem he was writing down a lot of things about boys or girls like "I liked to think about a boy swinging in them".I think that's what Robert Frost wanted to be seeing but instead he was seeing somthing that he didn't want to see. I think this showed that Robert Frost loved the birch trees and was sad what an ice storm did to them.I noticed that Robert Frost lived way out in the country because he's talking about a lot of birch trees and when it say "a boy to far from town to learn to play baseball" that probaly means that Roberyt Frost lived far away from anyone else.
-so easy Cam can do it

Anonymous said...

I think he really told his feelings about birch and like I didnt know people would think that much about birch trees I thought they normal trees because I thought they were pretty but I never really notice how they have tons and tons of ice in them I thought they looked like every other tree and Robert Frost had a lot of detail I think he really sat and had to right this poem over and over again before he got it right.

Rajon Rondo

Anonymous said...

I agree with cheese ball that Robert Frost did use a lot of sensory language. I thought his poem was pretty good, but the only part I did not like was that it was so long. The part I liked the most was when he said that something would shed crystal shells. I liked that part the most because it sounded cool. I have one question to ask. What does crazes their enamel mean???

~Justin

Anonymous said...

Robert frost made the story really a poem.I wonder what happened over those 20 years.I wonder why he needed to wait for 20 years to be a better poet.I liked when he did tons of rhyming in the story.I liked when he did rhyming because sometimes rhyming is fun to me.


by Andrew Leduc

Anonymous said...

I Agere with cheseball because I also think it had sensory language even though. I didn't put it on my blog before it was hard to under stand some of his words.I also agere with Cam because I also liked how he also wrote down want he wanted to see.I also think that Robert Frost loved the birch trees and the ice put together.It was also very cool other than what Cam said but it was somewhat like something York experinsianed.

W!LL D0nNeLl

Anonymous said...

I agree with Julia, I also wonder about how Robert got the title 'Birches'?? I really like how Robert Frost layed out the poem. I had to read the poem twice to really understand it. It made me think more about how he wanted us to feel,think and read about this poem. There are parts of the poem I really do not understand and I know I don't get the meaning he wants us to get. That's why I had to read the poem twice. I don't get when he says '(Now am I free to be poetical?). Do you get what he means??? Also, I like how he DOES'T rhyme. Sometimes, I can't take a poem seriously when it rhymes. For example: when cat and bat rhyme I think that's a good rhyme (not really, I couldn't think on a good rhyme!!). But, in the end, I really like the poem "Birches".

100% $@r@I-I (SARAH)

Anonymous said...

#1. Well I have a question about the poem I was wondering if this poem is a story. Because it goes on forever and it is kind of boring. I think the author is excellent but this poem goings on forever and it is boring to me. And it makes me fall asleep ha ha. All i have to say is how long you can talk about a tree.

xocandy

Anonymous said...

#1. I think that poem was really good. Kind of hard to understand, but still really cool. By the way I really liked the poetry unit, it was my second favorite unit. (My favorite one was the fiction unit) I liked the poem because it's thoughtful and well made, it was also really long.(which is not a bad thing)





the #1 cat lover in the world